Foods for Liver Support and Function
Your dog’s liver is responsible for about 500 different functions. It’s critical that your dog’s liver is in good health, and it’s taken care of in the best way possible. Besides exercise, supplements, and routine check-ups, food is a major factor in the overall well-being of your dog. The best foods for your dog in order to help liver support and function are fresh and in season. Feeding your dog a fresh, raw diet is the best diet for overall wellbeing.
There are many foods that you can add to your dog’s diet to support their liver, including:
- Sprouts like clover, alfalfa or radish.
- Lemon and apple cider vinegar: your dog may not like the taste of lemon but many will tolerate a few drops of apple cider vinegar added daily to their water.
- Greens, especially spring vegetables like spinach, broccoli rabe, celery or asparagus. Greens help support the detox mechanisms in the liver. Give them to your dog any way he likes them – chopped, pureed, steamed, mashed, or even with a little butter!
- Liver: eating liver supports liver health, so feed chicken, beef or lamb liver. If you can, buy organic liver from, grass fed, naturally raised animals.
- Dairy foods like yogurt, sour cream, butter and cream, preferably from pasture raised animals.
- Fermented foods like kefir or fermented vegetables. (Sourced from Dogs Naturally Magazine)
Practitioners Dr. Kim Bloomer, CVND, ND and Dr. Jeanette Thomason, CVND both hold doctorate degrees in Veterinary Naturopathy. They assert that when our dogs are not fed a species appropriate diet, their organs become overburdened carrying out work they were not originally designed to do.
They go on to state, “Poor quality, cooked, and or processed protein cannot be flushed through the colon effectively. Thus, the toxins are reabsorbed into the body. So when you’re deciding on the right diet for your pet with liver disease, be sure to do your homework and research. A raw, carnivore specific diet is the best and most easily digested diet there is for healing or maintaining health.” (Sourced from Primal Pooch)
Your dog’s veterinarian is the best one to evaluate the appropriate diet for your pet. Besides a healthy diet, you also need to be aware of the proper supplements that your dog should be taking. At VSL Laboratories, we produce the highest quality, purest, and most reliable liver supplements to meet the standards of todays veterinarians, and animal owners.
Talk to your dog’s vet and make sure they’re aware of Hepatosyl Plus, or purchase it here. VSL Laboratories proudly exercises the utmost diligence to ensure that your pet gets the quality treatment they deserve. If you have any questions, please contact us here.